Upgrade to Chrome Upgrade to Firefox Upgrade to Internet Explorer Upgrade to Safari

Help & Information

Changing Schools

If they feel their concerns haven’t been addressed, some parents consider sending their child to a different school.

This will not necessarily resolve the problem. Bullying happens in all schools and if your child is still vulnerable, this could be spotted at the new school and the problem could start again. The bully may have friends and/or family at the new school.

Changing schools is very stressful and no child should have to change schools because of a bullying problem. Your child will have to leave their friends behind and make new ones and they may find it hard to settle.

If you do make the decision to send your child to a different school, where possible, try to make the transition at the beginning of a school year, or at least at the beginning of a new term. Does the new school follow the same lesson and exam format as the original school? Starting a new school mid term may have a negative effect on your child’s education.

You should also consider the distance to the new school. If it is further from your home than the original school, would your child be able to get there and back safely? This may mean additional travelling expenses.

When you do find a school that is suitable for your child, ask them about their Anti Bullying policy and ask them what procedures they follow if a child is being bullied. Your child’s current school should be doing something about the bullying, but if you are in a position where you choose to change your child’s school, you need to be confident that any further problems will be dealt with in the new school.

Return to Website

Need to talk?

If you are being bullied or are concerned about someone who is, you can receive help and support from one of our trained Mentors through our e-mentoring service.

If you would like a Mentor to email you, please contact: mentorsonline@bulliesout.com

If you would rather speak to someone over the telephone, you can call Childline on: 0800 1111

For any community-related issues, such as anti-social behaviour, we would suggest contacting your landlord, the local police or your local environmental health department (where applicable), as we are unable to deal with these types of complaints.