Upgrade to Chrome Upgrade to Firefox Upgrade to Internet Explorer Upgrade to Safari

Help & Information

Is My Child Being Bullied?

This is a question many parents ask and in most cases a child will not always admit they are being bullied. They’re probably not going to open up to you and say, “I’m getting teased and bullied at school.” Instead, it is going to manifest itself by your child saying something like, “I don’t want to go to school today.”

If this seems to be happening a lot, consider the possibility that bullying might be the reason behind the sick days. Changes in mood, behaviour and physical appearance can also be warning signs of someone being bullied, however, some young people may not display any warning signs at all.

Signs to look out for:

  • Excuses to miss school headaches, stomach complaints etc.
  • Missing school altogether
  • School work not up to usual standard
  • Coming home with items missing and /or damaged
  • Showing signs of being in a fight
  • Going to bed earlier than usual
  • Not able to sleep
  • Become moody, aggressive or both
  • Lack of confidence
  • Anxiety
  • Depression
  • Loneliness
  • Bed wetting (mainly younger children)
  • A change in eating habits
  • Become insecure or afraid

As there could be other reasons for these symptoms, try to avoid jumping to conclusions. Could there be anything else bothering your child such as, changes in your family?

If there has not been any other changes and you suspect bullying may be the cause of the distress and anxiety, it is important to try and act as early as you can.

Return to Website

Need to talk?

If you are being bullied or are concerned about someone who is, you can receive help and support from one of our trained Mentors through our e-mentoring service.

If you would like a Mentor to email you, please contact: mentorsonline@bulliesout.com

If you would rather speak to someone over the telephone, you can call Childline on: 0800 1111

For any community-related issues, such as anti-social behaviour, we would suggest contacting your landlord, the local police or your local environmental health department (where applicable), as we are unable to deal with these types of complaints.